Bajaj Auto Ltd.
The Bajaj Group is amongst the top 10 business houses in India. Its footprint stretches over a wide range of industries, spanning automobiles (two-wheelers and three-wheelers), home appliances, lighting, iron and steel, insurance, travel and finance. The group’s flagship company, Bajaj Auto, is ranked as the world’s fourth largest two- and three- wheeler manufacturer and the Bajaj brand is well-known across several countries in Latin America, Africa, Middle East, South and South East Asia. Founded in 1926, at the height of India’s movement for independence from the British, the group has an illustrious history. The integrity, dedication, resourcefulness and determination to succeed which are characteristic of the group today, are often traced back to its birth during those days of relentless devotion to a common cause. Jamnalal Bajaj, founder of the group, was a close confidant and disciple of Mahatma Gandhi. In fact, Gandhiji had adopted him as his son. This close relationship and his deep involvement in the independence movement did not leave Jamnalal Bajaj with much time to spend on his newly launched business venture.
His son, Kamalnayan Bajaj, then 27, took over the reigns of business in 1942. He too was close to Gandhiji and it was only after Independence in 1947, that he was able to give his full attention to the business. Kamalnayan Bajaj not only consolidated the group, but also diversified into various manufacturing activities. The present Chairman of the group, Rahul Bajaj, took charge of the business in 1965. Under his leadership, the turnover of the Bajaj Auto the flagship company has gone up from INR.72 million to INR. 120 billion, its product portfolio has expanded and the brand has found a global market. He is one of India’s most distinguished business leaders and internationally respected for his business acumen and entrepreneurial spirit.
Bajaj Auto is the flagship of the Bajaj group of companies. The group comprises of 34 companies and was founded in the year 1926.
The companies in the group are:
- Bajaj Auto Ltd.
- Bajaj Holdings & Investment Ltd.
- Bajaj Finserv Ltd.
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Co. Ltd
- Bajaj Financial Solutions Ltd.
- Bajaj Auto Finance Ltd.
- Bajaj Allianz Financial Distributors Ltd.
- Bajaj Auto Holdings Ltd.
- P T Bajaj Auto Indonesia (PTBAI)
- Bajaj Auto International Holdings BV
- Bajaj Electricals Ltd.
- Hind Lamps Ltd.
- Bajaj Ventures Ltd.
- Mukand Ltd.
- Mukand Engineers Ltd.
- Mukand International Ltd.
- Bajaj Sevashram Pvt. Ltd.
- Jamnalal Sons Pvt. Ltd.
- Rahul Securities Pvt Ltd
- Shekhar Holdings Pvt Ltd
- Madhur Securities Pvt Ltd
- Niraj Holdings Pvt Ltd
- Shishir Holdings Pvt Ltd
- Kamalnayan Investments & Trading Pvt Ltd
- Sanraj Nayan Investments Pvt. Ltd.
- Hercules Hoists Ltd.
- Hind Musafir Agency Pvt. Ltd.
- Bajaj International Pvt. Ltd.
- Bachhraj Factories Pvt. Ltd.
- Baroda Industries Pvt. Ltd.
- Jeevan Ltd.
- Bachhraj & Co Pvt Ltd
- The Hindustan Housing Co. Ltd.
- Hospet Steels Ltd
Timeline of Two Wheeler releases
- 1960–1970 – Vespa 150 – under the licence of Piaggio of Italy
- 1971 – three-wheeler goods carrier
- 1972 – Bajaj Chetak
- 1976 – Bajaj Super
- 1977 – Bajaj Priya
- 1977 – Rear engine autorickshaw
- 1981 – Bajaj M-50
- 1986 – Bajaj M-80, Kawasaki Bajaj KB100,
- 1990 – Bajaj Sunny
- 1991 – Kawasaki Bajaj 4S Champion
- 1993 – Bajaj Stride
- 1994 – Bajaj Classic
- 1995 – Bajaj Super Excel
- 1996 – Bajaj SX Enduro
- 1997 – (Bajaj KB125) Kawasaki Bajaj Boxer, rear engine diesel autorickshaw
- 1998 – Kawasaki Bajaj Caliber, Bajaj Legend,
- 1999 – Bajaj Spirit
- 2000 – Bajaj Saffire, Bajaj Prowler
- 2001 – Eliminator, Bajaj Pulsar, Caliber Croma
- 2003 – Caliber 115, Kawasaki Bajaj Wind 125, Bajaj Pulsar DTS-i,
- 2004 – Bajaj KT 100, New Bajaj Chetak 4-stroke with Wonder Gear, Bajaj Discover DTS-i
- 2005 – Bajaj Wave, Bajaj Avenger, Bajaj Discover 112
- 2006 – Bajaj Platina
- 2007 – Bajaj Pulsar-200 (Oil Cooled), Bajaj Kristal, Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi (Fuel Injection), XCD 125 DTS-Si
- 2008 – Bajaj Discover 135 DTS-i – sport (upgrade of existing 135 cc model)
- 2009 – Bajaj Pulsar 135, Bajaj XCD 135 cc, Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTS-i UG IV, Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTS-i UG IV, Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i, Bajaj Discover 100 DTS-Si, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
- 2010 – Bajaj Discover 150
- 2011 – Bajaj Discover 125
- 2012 – Bajaj RE 60, mini car for intra-city urban transportation
- 2012 – KTM Duke 200, launch of 200 cc bike from the stable
- 2012 – Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS, launch of 200 cc bike, Discover 125ST, launch of 125 cc bike
Bajaj’s strong presence in over 50 countries truly exemplifies the term successful expansion.
Since the launch of the legendary Chetak scooter in 1973; Bajaj has been the most favourite two-wheeler brand across the world. With the Boxer launch in 90’s, the stylish Pulsar in 2001 and the likes of Discover, Platina and many other great bikes, Bajaj has catered to every need in this segment.
In the midst of 1972, Bajaj began exporting two-wheelers to Australia. And by 1973, the first shipment of three wheelers arrived in Bangladesh. By 2000-01, Bajaj managed to export around 44,000 vehicles. Our exports were growing and that created a need of setting up representative sales offices abroad. So in 2004, we set up sales offices in Africa, Sri Lanka and Middle East followed by a subsidiary in Indonesia. Later in 2008, we opened another sales office in Mexico in Latin America. And in the same year, a 15% increase was recorded with the export of 7, 26,115 two-wheelers.
Across the globe, Bajaj is known as the no. 1 three-wheeler company, with a very dominant position in Sri Lanka, Egypt, Bangladesh and Peru.
Bajaj’s market share is increasing constantly every year. The brand Bajaj is a market leader in motorcycles in Colombia, Central America, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Philippines, Nigeria, Uganda and Kenya. And we are proud that the love of our customers has made Boxer the no. 1 brand in the whole of Africa.
But the export of one million vehicles in the year 2010 has put us foremost in the worldwide race of success. Well, these achievements are definitely awe-inspiring. But for a company like Bajaj, these are just goals, achievements are yet to come.
Bajaj Auto’s has in all three plants, two at Waluj and Chakan in Maharashtra and one plant at Pant Nagar in Uttranchal, western India.
Manufactures: Bajaj range of motorcycles and three-wheelers
Location :Bajaj Nagar, Waluj, Aurangabad 431 136
Manufactures: Bajaj range of motorcycles
location MIDC, Plot No A1, Mahalunge Village, Chakan 410 501 Dist. Pune
Manufactures: Bajaj range of motorcycles
Location Plot No. 2, Sector 10 Phase -II – E, Pant Nagar, Sidcul, Rudrapur Dist. Udhamsingh Nagar Uttranchal